Sunday, February 23, 2014

THE CAPTAIN AND HIS SOLDIERS PT2 union jack set

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Part 2 of the UNION JACK DINING SET


I custom painted the seats of these jack chairs.


The fabric I used is drop cloth available at your local paint store.
I have ran it through the washer before stapling it into place on the seat.
The green you see above is painters tape / frog tape.


I tested many different fabric paints, in the end the cheapest craft paint worked great.
Annie Sloans chalk paint can be used for painting upholstery with the same results.
 

Painting a thick layer on fabric does leave a horribly rough texture, however


when you sanded it, it leaves the painted areas soft to the touch and looking like denim.
This is exactly the look I wanted.


You may have to play with the pattern a bit to work with the angle of the seat.


I used artist brushes and kept the brush strokes angled away from the edges to help avoid bleeding.


Above you can see the navy is sanded but the red has not been yet.


red left IS SANDED                                                red right NOT SANDED


I even put a painted sample through the washing machine and it came out perfect.


I did screw up the pattern here.
Can you see where?


 
Part 1 Painting the red frames of *THE CAPTAIN AND HIS SOLDIERS* can be found here
Sharing at:
Funky Junk Interiors
Miss Mustard Seeds Creative BlogSundays Best Linky Party!

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment