Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Anthropologie Inspired Ottoman

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

Today Im sharing how we built our Anthropologie inspired bench. We saved on a few materials and splurged on a few to make it a little more special. 

Here we go :)

We built a frame out of 2x6s (20" w x 50" l) with corner supports for the legs to attach. Holes were pre-drilled and counter sunk to prevent splitting when screwed together. 


Additionally we used, 3" upholstery webbing, batting, cording, a drapery panel from Target, and a king comforter from Ikea.


For the corners we stapled the fabric, and a piece of thick acid free paper and folded the fabric back and ironed. 


Fabric was pulled tight and the plate for the legs was screwed into place.


We folded a king comforter overlapping 4 times, of course Annabelle thought it was a bed for her ... haha :)


Onto my favorite part! We used upholstery webbing in lieu of plywood for the support. We stapled and wove the webbing together. And we finally upgraded (from our $8 one :) to a heavy duty stapler, per the recommendation of Jenny. And it is AMAZING, I would highly recommend!

I loosely hand stitched three layers of the comforter together (not in image). I then sewed a simple cover  with cording for the filling, but when I put it on it didnt have the polished look that I wanted, so I opted to secure the top down with nailhead (I actually pulled them out of our sofa so we would have enough. David straightened them as I put them in). It was a make it work moment :) I put a few staples in prior to applying the nailhead to keep it tight and then removed once finished.


The legs were stained with Minewax Driftwood, then we inserted the casters and attached them to the plates.


My new favorite spray paint color is Lemongrass from Rustoleum, it is the perfect yellow chartreuse.


The gray ikat pillow is from Marshalls and the other two are from Target.


and thats it!

Source and Price breakdown:

2x6 (2) $12 - Home Depot
Drapery Panel - $24 Target
Comforter - $15 (Ikea on sale)
Webbing 14 yards .50/yard with coupon - $7 (Beverlys, local fabric store)
Legs (4) - $33
Casters (4) - Currently unavailable, but I think it was around $12
Cording - 4 yards .50/yard with coupon - $2 (Beverlys, local fabric store)
Stain - $5 Ace Hardware
Batting - already owned, fabric.com has a good selection.

Total $110

I splurged on the legs/casters, but with a more simple leg, you could definitely get it under $100!

Ill be back with a brief tutorial on how we made the cornice tomorrow!

--

Did I mention that the theme for this weeks Creating with the Stars is paint? Yeah, Im pretty messy when I work ... :)

Im really excited with it coming together and I cant wait to share it with you! Voting starts Monday!!




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment